What is a pig's scariest movie?
Hamityville Horror


Thursday, November 21, 2013

It's a POPCORN Shaker!

It is day two of Hambo's INTERACTIVE CHALLENGE and I have another fun one. Seriously, I will sit at my desk and play with these things until I make myself put them to the side for mailing...I don't want to wear out the "mechanisms" before someone else gets to play with them (haha!)

Today's card is a traditional shaker card. What isn't so traditional is what's shaking... It's POPCORN. A perfect accompaniment to Wee Henrietta Popcorn don't you think??

Hambo Wee Henrietta Popcorn

Sooo I decided to try a picture tutorial. I hope it makes sense to you so give me feedback!! Here we go...

1. Shaker Supplies: Foam sheet, Die cuts (size and shape depends on you but you need one that fits inside the other), Acetate, Glue stick, Shaker material, Image, Cardstock.

NOTE: height depends on shaker material - the popcorn required something thicker. I couldn't get anything thicker than 3mm foam to work with the die cut so I doubled up. I normally don't use big shaker stuff so this is not a problem - one layer of 3mm works great.
Step 1

2. Using the largest die (in this case the scallop), cut out the image, the acetate, the cardstock, and the foam.

3. Center the smaller die (in this case the circle) and recut the foam pieces as well as the cardstock (this will create "frames" from each)
Step 2

TIP: After I cut out the foam "frames", I put all the cut outs back together and run them through the Xyron  - on both sides. Then my frames are sticky, and I can use everything else as dimensional foam.

tip-horz


4. Stick the frames together and adhere the stack to the image. (If you don't have a Xyron, use your glue stick here and make sure to let it dry well before moving to next step...)



5. Now you are going to make a sandwich with your pieces.
    • Put the shaker material into the cavity.
    • Line up the acetate with foam pieces and adhere it on top. (the top edge should be sticky from Xyron or you can use glue stick)
    • Add adhesive (I like glue stick for this) onto the back of the cardstock frame, center it up with rest of sandwich and adhere it on top of the acetate. (I would normally try to make the foam the same color or a similar color to the top frame; however, I used black and white so you could see them clearly.)
    • This is your shaker element.
Step 4

6. Put your shaker element onto your decorated card base and have fun...


Thanks for stopping by!! And as the inside of my card says... (you thought I had forgotten didn't you??)

IMG_3178

lyn

Supplies for the final card:

  • Image: Wee Henrietta Popcorn digi by Hambo
  • Paper: White cardstock (PTI); DP and black (Recollections) Red kraft core (Sizzix)
  • Ink: Copics - skin: E00, E11, E21, Hair: E17, E19, E33, E35, Shirt and bow: YG03, YG63, YG67, Jeans: B21, B23, B24, Shoes W1, W3, W5, W7, Popcorn bucket: R24, R27, R29, Popcorn: Y000, Y21
  • Other: Spellbinders Circles, Spots embossing folder, Twine, Eyelet, Shaker elements from above

6 comments:

Judy Rozema said...

LOVE this tutorial, Lyn!! Now to get out my little Xyron and see if it does that....SUPER CUTE idea with the popcorn!

Melissa said...

Love it! Never thought of using my dies to make a shaker box!

Monica Hunter said...

I love this too! Great tutorial, and truly inspired to use the popcorn with this image. :)

Jane Elizabeth France said...

I love your tutorial lyn, whenever I have done a shaker card all the bits seem to stick to the sides so I end up with a crusty circle and not many shaker bits!!! So imaginative to use corn with your image. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I want to make one! This is an amazing tutorial Lyn! You did a fantastic job! Hugs!!!

Jenn

Gail said...

Cool Idea! Love Shaker Cards